BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Bake #9: Tina Bakes Oatmeal-Raisins Cupcakes


Wholesome and delicious! Again, this feels more like a muffin than a cupcake and makes for a great coffee companion for breakfast.

Martha grouped this recipe under 'cookie cupcakes' but it doesn't taste cookie-ish at all, although the ingredients ~ oatmeal, coconut and raisins would be perfect in a cookie too.
I kinda cheated on this bake and substituted ingredients that I did not have with those readily available in my kitchen! I wouldn't say I skewed the recipe and twisted it to be my own as it wasn't by intention. Not quite my own invention although necessity is the mother of invention!

For starters, I couldn't find sweetened flaked coconut here in Malaysia (or could it be I didn't look hard enough?) so I used canned dessicated coconuts. And instead of bothering with traditional rolled oats and oat bran, I used instant oats :) hey! I needed an opportunity to deplete my stock of instant oats!!
And to my horror, half-way beating the ingredients, I noticed that I have used up all the sour cream in the fridge!! too lazy to run to the store, I used milk instead hoping that it would not make my batter too runny.
All my worries were unfounded as the cupcakes came out of the oven tasting great!! If you're looking for a no-guilt treat, this is it!!

1 comments:

Jencrafted said...

Milk, dessicated coconut, instant oat.....that's a total of 3 subs so I'd say you now have the rights to call this your own recipe! Hahaha!
Golden brown......the top of your cupcakes.....that's the effect we all want, isn't it? So how does it taste? It reminds me of the streusel cupcakes we made and if this is as good as those....I'm in heaven!
Mine are baking as I'm typing....I'm soooooo terribly sorry. Never ever got around to baking this weekend and hung out with a good friend (ex high-school classmate!) yesterday. Lame excuse.....that's me. I will post mine soon. And what's up with all the rest of the FWB bakers? Baking along? Comments and feedback are good *hint-hint*. Puhleez?