BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bake #9: Jenny bakes Oatmeal Raisin Cupcakes

One word: comforting. Another word: it's really, really good! Ok, so that's more than a word but I must say, I am rather surprised that these Oatmeal Raisin recipe turned out to be another keeper. I was rather apprehensive, perhaps due to the last experience and the fact that this is such a stripped-down, plain, frosting-less, frill-less, alright, I'll say it: boring-looking cupcake in the book! But you know what they say - less is more.

The cake texture is tender  - reminds me a lot of the Streusel bake several weeks earlier. I made a few substitutions and additions to the recipe mostly because #1: simply for economies of scale, I always prefer to buy tubs or dairy but since consumption for sour-cream is usually very low in our household, I opted to buy a tub of yogurt instead. At least I can have that with my morning fruits or granola instead of just using teenie-weenie portions for baking then having to worry about what to do with the rest.  Secondly, I wanted to add some crunch to the cake, and in lieu of oatmeal bran, I simply added some of D's favorite morning cereal (some mixture of flax seed, cornflakes and toasted almond slices). Oh, for those of you who don't know, D is my husband, by the way. Then again, how many of you read this anyways?!

Just like its sister cookies, these oatmeal raisin cupcakes go very well with a tall glass of milk. So this is for photo styling......
........but by the end of this post, I've already downed couple cupcakes and gulped the entire glass of milk. So much so for 2-pounds-a-week weight-loss target!

This sounds like a broken gramophone but if you've not done so, please try out the recipes, bake along and do let us know how your bakes went - blog about it (don't forget to send your blog links to friendswhobake@gmail.com), post pictures on FB group page or heck, we'll even take feedback and comments! What are you waiting for?!? Our tagline is Rekindling old friendships, making new ones. We'd really love your help on the latter........

2 comments:

Tina said...

yours look sooooo good!! like i want to simply grab a few and eat them!! they look perrrfect and much better than Martha's!! :) love the photo styling..Jen, you're too talented!!

the rolled oats look great... i didn't mention in my post on this bake but skipped the 'fill cups with batter and then the topping' bit and just mixed them all up together!! (lazy!!)

agree that this is a keeper and most importantly, guilt-free pleasure kan??

jenny_bakes said...

That's unlike Ms Tina to take short-cuts when it comes to baking! Let me know if you want to do/try something else.......these cupcakes must be easy-peasy for you.
They do taste good and most importantly, they are lower in cholesterol than the other egg-filled recipes....although I am not sure if it's 100% guilt-free. ;-) I halved the portion and still got 20 regular-sized cupcakes!