BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bake #5: Tina bakes Strawberry-Jam Tea Cakes

For some endearing reason this cake reminded me of my innocent childhood... of strawberry jam sandwiches for school recess. The uncomplicated taste of cake and strawberry jam - what could be more wholesome than that? Perhaps that was the reason why this particular cake was the first I was attracted to when I initially glanced through MS' Cupcakes.

This is a simple, sweet sweet cake. Pop it in your mouth, close your eyes and think happy thoughts. I did!!

definitely the cake to have on a cold, rainy day... coupled with your fav cuppa

I only wish I had remembered to reduce the amount of sugar in the cake batter, like I always do in all recipes. It was excrutiatingly S-W-E-E-T!! the sweet cake, the jam and the glaze... can be over-powering even for sweet-toothed me :) Other than that, it was lovely..
This recipe yield 6 jumbo cupcakes and .... 64 mini ones!! I purposely baked them in mini sizes so my girls and I could bring them to school/work... after all good things are meant to be shared!! So after our fair share of cakes and tea, all three of us brought about 18 mini ones each for our friends :)

And as I was arranging the jumbo cupcakes and strawberries for my photo shoot, my little one diced some strawberries to garnish the mini ones. I thought they looked very pretty... and popping the cake with fresh, somewhat soury strawberries into your mouth evened out the sweetness of the cake. Brilliant!!

These pretty little cakes will definitely make its appearance at the dessert spread at my next party!!

post-publish update: hate the way how these photos look 'foggy' when published. the quality definitely dropped a few notches...

2 comments:

Jencrafted said...

Tina, you out-did yourself (and me) again!! How delightful. Your cakes look so enticing and I love the strawberry garnishing! Mine came out somewhat dry eventhough I had lowered the oven temp and lessen the bake time. I love strawberry sandwiches when I was young too - it's what I brought to school everyday, no kidding - everyday!!
Love it!!
P.S Let's change the post background color and hopefully it'll take that hazy look away.

Tina said...

Jen dearie... I baked this at a time when all I wanted to do was curl up in bed (it was raining too!!) and feel sorry for myself (3rd anniversary of Zam's passing). Then I heard the girls' voices outside and told myself I MUST get up and go!! and so I dried the tears and went to the kitchen to bake this. it was part of a me-cheer-me plan. tho' the heart bled a little, it also cheered up a little.

the girls were ever so happy to help out in the kitchen and were excited at the prospect of sharing these cakes with their teachers and friends at school.

I am glad to be baking... and baking these with a dear friend. thanks for re-entering my life. hugs.

p/s: yeah, let's change the background color (tho i've tried before but I can't seem to be able to do it!!).. me or you?? am feeling pretty lazy lately to be messing up with templates :))