BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 22, 2010

Bake #5: Jenny Bakes Strawberry-Jam Tea Cakes

They say variety is the spice of life but for this week, Variety is the filling of my teacakes! I decided to hold a mini contest on these petite goodies by changing up the filling a bit. Besides, that section on the inside of my refrigerator door is completely over-laden with unopened jars of jams, preserves, confitures and chutneys, causing the door the jam each time we shut it.
I love collecting stuffs- all kinds of stuffs. If only I get paid a dime for every collection, I'd be mighty rich by now! And same for each time I digress!!

Now, where was I? Oh yes. The contenders:

  • Mountain Fig jam
  • Peanut Butter
  • Strawberry jam
  • Kaya - a type of Malaysian Coconut jam,
I liked the richness of the coconut jam
but it overpowered the delicate sponge cake in this combination. The peanut butter was just a tad too nutty
From left: peanut-butter and coconut jam

I think it would be great if I had layered in some sweet jelly (à la PBJ teacakes) and the fig jam flavor paled in comparison with the strawberry preserves. So after much deliberation with the judges - all three of them : moi, myself and I (!!!) - the final verdict was delivered....and the winner of the best filling for these cutie teacakes?

............*drumroll*..............

Ladies and gentlemen: Strawberry Jam Teacakes.
One thing to note, I found the cake somewhat dry eventhough I baked mine at 330˚F for ~ 22 minutes; Martha's recipe called for 30 minutes of baking time at even higher temp of 350˚F! So do monitor your cakes in the oven very carefully.

Thanks for another fantastic pick Tina! Strawberry Fields Forever! ;-)

2 comments:

Tina said...

Jen, your peanut butter has expired!! (I clicked on the photo to see the enlarged version and saw the best-before date!!) go throw it out, you jam & preserves hoarder haha

your cake with kaya filling actually looks very tempting... eat it with kopi 'o' kampong... or better still dunk it in kopi 'o'... hmmmm :)

I read this post this morning and craved for a strawberry jam teacake!! yours does not look dry at all laaaar.. in fact it looks very moistly dense. Just to share, I baked mine in less than 15 mins and did not bother to leave the top to brown. did you really like the cake??

jenny_bakes said...

Hahaha! You are too observant! Yup, that bottle has expired. I had total of 3 PB jars, couple strawberry and blackberry preserves, 2 jars of fig jam, 2 jars of kaya, a jar of butter caramel, half a jar of lavender jam when I cleared the fridge.....and God-knows what else in the pantry! :-) Freezer is next! My trash bin is full......
The cake is somewhat dry - mine was. But I really like the strawberry and sponge cake combo. It's a typical pair here.....at the groceries, they always place sponge cakes next to the fresh strawberries. So I got me couple boxes of strawberries yesterday and I'm gonna make a huge large sponge cake for D to bring to work this Friday......quick, quick before the strawberries expires!! :-)