BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bake #4: Tina bakes Lemon Cupcakes

I baked regular lemon cupcakes... no Meyer lemons over here!! :)

The lemons I got were going for RM1.09 per piece and I did not know where they came from, unfortunately. Earlier in the week, I saw some Egpytian lemons at RM4.99 per piece but did not want to get them too early before the bake.

I am happy with the lemons as they were very very juicy!! The recipe called for usage of about 8 lemons. I halved the recipe, so I'd need about 4 lemons... but I only had to use 1.5 lemons to get the amount of juice required!!

I started with the lemon curd... and since I had a lot of juice, I was generous with it. Probably not such a bright idea as my curd were very very lemony!! :) But I must tell you that the curd tastes less puckery and sweeter on the second day. Well, any cake always taste better on the second day, to me.. (that is if they last THAT long :))

These cupcakes are really pretty and cheery. I might just make the cakes without the curd, next time - perhaps increase the zest and juice too. They taste pleasantly sweet with a refreshingly zesty twist. I would also not let it brown too long in the oven... these are dense cakes and removing them from the oven just as they are ready allows them to stay softer and fluffier. You may not get the golden effect on the top, though.

And boy!! Does this recipe yield a LOT of cakes!! I got 42 mini cupcakes just by baking 2/3 of my batter (and did I mention I halved the recipe??) Again, timing was right as I had a majlis ilmu (religious knowledge class) to bring them to, last night. I plan to bake the leftover batter for the office.

some of the cakes ready to be shared...

Hey, you're not the only one loving this recipe... good choice, Jen!! :) oh! and Happy New Year to you and all those celebrating!!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm baking one recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes each month this year. I'm about to attempt these Meyer Lemon Cupcakes. The directions say they can be kept for only one hour at room temperature or only a few hours more refrigerated. Did your cupcakes last longer than that? If so, did there seem to be any negative impact from the storage time?

Tina said...

Hi Sarah! Glad to have you here. I left one cupcake unrefrigerated overnight and they still tasted fresh this morning. I still have a few in the fridge after 24 hours and glad to tell you that they taste even better!! :)

jenny_bakes said...

Those mini lemon cupcakes of yours look awesome and oh-so cute! Did you have any leftover lemon curd? Love the photo styling too! Glad you liked my pick.

Tina said...

Jen, yes I have some leftover curd but I also have 1/3 of batter left to bake... hope you're having a great new year celebration!!

KG said...

tina,
havent tried this, boo hoo...was not in the right frame of mine re: my sil with the capital C in UH.

Tina said...

KG... innalillahiwainnailaihi rojiun... hope your SIL battles through the big C... take care!!

Sarah said...

I finally finished my Martha's Meyer Lemon Cupcakes. They were a great success according to the folks who ate them at brunch Saturday. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this recipe. You can see my post about my experience (with a few shout outs to Friends Who Bake) my blog.

Tina said...

Sarah, I'm just happy that we were even of any help! it's always great to share experiences with fellow bakers... went over to your blog and you did more than a 'few' shout outs to FWB. Thank you!! :)

looking forward to sharing more experiences with you :)