BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Bake #3: Jenny bakes Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

First off, a very warm shout-out to all our new FWB bakers! This is going to be our FIRST ever bake-along that involves more than just Tina and me. How exciting!!

When Tina revealed her pick for this week's bake, I was like "phew!" in my head. I thought it would be something elaborate like this or this or even this. I have quite little patience with intricate cake designs and I think Tina knows what a novice I am when it comes to cake decorating. Phew! What a relief!

I've always wanted to visit Boston but the closest thing I ever got to was a Boston Cream Pie! The irony is, the Boston Cream Pie was invented by a French chef! Rich, vanilla pastry cream (not to be confused with custard) sandwiched between double-layer sponge cake. The French invented and perfected pastry cream so I guess it's not that much of an irony after all? Enough digression. Back to the BCPC, this recipe was easy to follow. I didn't bother with portion reduction and managed to get around 15 muffin-sized cakes plus 2 mini loafs; I just had to use my new teenie-weenie-mini loaf pans! The sponge cake was nothing spectacular but the light flavor allows the silky pastry cream and creamy chocolate glaze to shine. And shine they did!!
Here's my BCPC turned out. I styled couple cupcakes for photoshoot and made a cup of espresso to go along......I guess there's no need for explanation as to why I only managed to take a single photo....*munch* * slurp* *munch*....hmmmm....

3 comments:

Tina said...

jen, when can we sit and enjoy this together??

Jencrafted said...

When we meet here at my place!! 2010 or 2011 - 2 big b'day celebrations coming up....D's this year, mine's next. We should meet up!!

Tina said...

next year it is!! ?? :)