BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bake #14: Tina bakes French Yogurt Cake with Orange Marmalade

After four months and baking 13 of Martha's Cupcakes, FWB is happy to move on to Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home To Yours. This is a milestone for FWB. As much as I am happy to now bake Dorie's recipes and share with you my new adventures, a part of me is still with Cupcakes. I guess I have an emotional attachment to Cupcakes, it being a gift given to me by dear friend Jen and the reason for this blog you're reading (I'm just gonna go ahead and assume there are loyal readers of FWB besides Jen and me hehe).

Having said that, I must also stress that I am super duper thrilled that we're doing Dorie. Jen has told me so much about her - lucky gal that she is, she's met Dorie personally in Paris before!! Though this is my first FWB Dorie bake, it's my third time attempting her recipes. Let me tell you that I was an immediate fan following my first time with her Swedish Visiting Cake. Take my word for it - in the last 3 weeks, I've baked that cake 5 times to be shared with family and friends!!

Things may change somewhat in FWB in upcoming weeks - we'll keep you updated but for now, I'm enjoying every minute of FWB... and I present you, my French Yogurt Cake with Orange Marmalade:


I made 1.5 of the recipe as I wanted to bake some in muffin tins and play around. I baked a 6 inch cake and 4 cupcakes. I topped  the cake with lemon glaze and swirled some orange marmalade. The cake is very fragrant (I added some lemon juice on top of the lemon zest), moist and just fantastic!! You gotta try it for yourself!! The lemon glaze added some pretty strong citrusy taste to it (and I adore citrus!!) and it actually overpowered the marmalade. You can't really taste the marmalade with the lemon glaze - so next time I need to decide and not make the two compete with each other.

I layered my cupcakes with raspberry preserves and this is also a lovely way to have the cake.


While the cake slices make good coffee cake for breakfast, the dainty raspberry jam-layered cupcakes are definitely for dessert and strictly for the sweet-tooth. Oh before I forgot, I did not reduce the sugar in the recipe and I should have as the glaze and preserves provided more than enough sugar for one's daily allowance ;-)

I give this cake thumbs up for its simplicity in preparation (10 minutes prep time, max) and a 10 for taste.

7 comments:

jenny_bakes said...

TINA! I give you a 10x10x10 to the nth degree for this excellent post and my, my, my....the photography and styling!! It's like out of popular food magazines! Really good! The first photo....I like that little yellow dots on the rim of the plate - that's part of the plate design right? And the second photo....reminds me of the strawberry jam teacakes. And I simply love the layers on the last photo. You're in the zone, gal!!!
I'm so glad you like this cake. I love it too - baked double the recipe so that I could give some to friends! Don't have time to post my entry yet but should be up by end of the day.
GREAT JOB!!!
P.S Yes, there are other visitors....they are just super shy. :-) Wished there's more active participation like TWD and BWD group, but hey, let's just keep doing what we're doing! Baking rocks!! So do Dorie's recipes!! :-)

Tina said...

left a comment earlier and it didn't get published!! grrr..well, anyhoot...

hey, thank you, thank you x10 x10 x10!! heheheh

what's not to love about this cake, right? on the second day the texture became coarser and more moist than ever. everyone who tried it loved it!! can't wait to read your post about this cake and admire your photography!!! (the silent readers must think we're two perasan ladies... you puji I, I puji you hahahaha)

p/s: yup, baking ROCKS!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read you guys k! and a big fan too! Just wanna tell you to keep baking and spreading the cake love all over. I have yet to try any recipes from here due to all the reasons I can think of, but I would really like to try the latest recipe using the yogurt. Nampak menarik jer.

I clicked on the recipe column but it isn't there. Tulun tulun saya.

redha said...

Hi girls :)) what a beautiful cake !!! Terliuq ... That would be drooling ya.. Baked mine and it barely last 2 days, beautiful texture and simply perfectly moist. Tried the visiting cake and after the second day of the yogurt cake, they are both just perfect. Thank you but am too shy to post my cake pictures, tak setanding lah with your skills ;) now I even wish you guys bake every other day. It's lovely to read and inspiring to try it too.take care. All the best :)

Tina said...

My Sugar-High ness hath spoken!! Wizzz... glad to see you here!!

The recipe is searchable online...takpa I tulun you.. check your email, ok??

Tina said...

redha dear... I'm so glad you're baking along.. you need to start working on that blog, honey!! no worries about the photos... you can only get better and blogging will give you a reason to practice!!

I can't wait for the next bake too!! ;-)

jenny_bakes said...

Ooh, new comments from new members! Oooh......
As you can see, we're simply craving for attention.....:-)

Tin, we puji-puji to encourage and motivate one another. And we smack each other's heads when they grow too big, ok?!! Hahaha!

@redha: Glad you like Dorie's recipes. Don't be shy to post pictures of your bakes and share! We can learn and encourage each other.

@wiz: You'll enjoy the cake. Come back and share your thoughts with us!