BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bake #14: Jenny Bakes French Yogurt Cake with Orange Marmalade


In her book “Baking From My Home to Yours”, Dorie wrote about how the French hardly have the need to bake at home. I wouldn’t too, if all it takes to satisfy sweet cravings is a quick run to the neighborhood pâtisseries (and my, how spoilt I’d be by the endless selections offered!) But when the French do bake, this French Yogurt Cake is more often than not, their favorite go-to recipe. I can’t think of any other better recipe to start and ease FWB in on Dorie’s recipes than this!
A quick, simple, one-bowl (well, maybe 2 bowls but still, a ridiculously easy method) recipe with ingredients measured, typically, using yogurt cups - French size, of course. For the minimal effort and time invested, this recipe delivers the ultimate pleasure that one would hope to get out of a pound-cum-sponge cake. Rich but without guilt, since the fat used is vegetable oil. Moist and tender with the addition of yogurt. Compact yet soft as you sink your teeth into it. But above all, the irresistable flavors that this cake delivers - hearty and nutty (from the ground almonds) with a tang from the lemon zests and a surprising hint of rosemary at the end, one that lends a mysterious but wonderful finish to each bite! Yes, I opted to go Mediterranean on this one and chose to spice things up with the Riviera Yogurt Cake! You just have to love Dorie for adding a “Playing Around” section in her recipes! 
As with most cakes, this one tasted even better the next day. I doubled the portion and baked mine in a large loaf pan (~8.5” x 4.5”) and in 5 mini loaf pans to give away as gifts. Don’t skip the glaze and you should really try this with marmalade -  slightly sweet, slightly bitter and it’s that bitter hint that adds that extra “something-something” to the cake! I glazed mine with some homemade kumquat marmalade. Trés délicieux!! Please don’t wait. Bake along!!


7 comments:

KG said...

orange or citrus cake never appeal to me, but this one wt youghurt in it...a must try this weekend! tqs jenny!

Tina said...

Jen, I feel like I'm repeating myself in my comments after I look at your cake photos early in the morning each time, but I'm gonna say it again at the risk of sounding like a broken CD -- I can smell your cake from here!! ;-) Jenny, votre gâteau sent bon!! (is that right?? haha)

your cake loafs are gorgeous and the kumquat marmalade.. oh my!! can't wait, can't wait to have the book on my lap!!

Tina said...

KG, please please do try this recipe this weekend... I assure you this one's for keeps!!

p/s: Wiz baked hers last nite with slight tweaking... said she'll blog about it :-)

jenny_bakes said...

Merci mon ami. C'est très gentil. Can you smell the rosemary, Tin? :-) I love the lemon-rosemary combo. You'll love the book, I promise.

@KG, the yogurt makes it moist and slightly tangy. Try the Riviera version - add minced rosemary or mint, indigenous Mediterranean flavors. A unique change.

redha said...

MasyAllah :) you guys really done it this time, love the tweakings you both did. Thank god, I did not read this earlier, I would look for the fresh rosemary tonight :). Truly, it's so inspiring, can't wait to serve this to my sons. He he he:)) I baked another one of this yogurt cake tonight, it's cooling on the table right now. I add 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut to it, lemon juice and orange juice too. Planned to have it with my strawberry jam tomorrow morning :) thank you again ladies for the remarkable inspiration. God bless !

redha said...

Jenny : the financier mold is an amazing hostess gift ;) thanks

Needful Things said...

Gorgeous photos! Makes me want to reach in and grab one of those cakes!