BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Better late than never: Jenny bakes Bake #15 Almond-Butter Jelly Cupcakes & Bake #16 Devil's Food Cupcakes

The title of this entry says it all. I’ve been taking a hiatus from blogging just to refocus on other priorities; I know, once upon a time, it was also hard for me fathom that there’re other pressing issues other than baking and blogging! 
Jokes aside, this will be my last FWB post. When Tina and I reconnected last Fall, I was glad to find out that she was also into baking. In fact, Tina was already an accomplished baker and after having tried several recipes from Martha’s book myself, I knew it would be the perfect gift for her. Two bakes and countless photo uploads, comments and comment feedbacks on our Facebook status updates later, this blog was birthed. It’s been a fun ride - all 4 months of it and I cant think of a better way to rekindle the friendship with my dear friend Tina than this! Tina and I had grand plans, didn’t we, Tin?! But I’m truly thankful for our friendship and the privilege to share the passion for baking  with a dear friend. I’ve enjoyed myself immensely doing FWB and the times we “spent” will always be near and dear to my heart. 
Bake #15: Almond Butter Jelly Cupcakes
I came across almond butter in the brand new section of dried food, fruits and nuts section that they had just put in at our local Safeway (grocery) store. 
It’s basically pure almond paste, no preservatives nor salt or any seasonings. The taste? Imagine the taste of an almond nut but instead of crunching the whole nut, you’ll be licking it in its paste form! Nutty, but its flavor slightly understated compared to peanut. Does it make a good nutty-jelly cupcake? You betcha! 
I love the somewhat moist-somewhat crumbly texture of this cupcake. Granted, it has been well over 3 weeks since I baked it but I still recall the wonderful aroma of the cupcakes hot off the oven. They were great as-is, unadorned, but since I still had cream cheese leftover from earlier bakes, I went ahead and made the frosting, topped each cupcake with a dollop of the almond butter frosting and finished with a generous dot of raspberry preserves. The sweet and slightly-tart preserves helped cut through the nutty flavors and balanced out the cream-cheese-almond-butter frosting. Definitely a keeper and I would recommend this for those of you who may be searching for healthier alternatives to your kids’ regular PBJ sandwiches!
Bake #16: Devil’s Food Cupcakes

I have been wanting to try this recipe for some time now. A hopeless chocoholic, I’m always game to try good chocolate cake recipes and gorge myself silly, sampling each bake as they’re done. The photo of the lone, dark chocolate cupcake with chocolate shavings caught my attention each time I thumb through the pages and I knew I just had to put in on FWB list sooner or later. 
The recipe did not disappoint although I must say that the quality of the cocoa powder you use makes a huge impact on the finished product. I baked this twice - with regular Hershey dutch process cocoa powder the first time, and the second time with Valrhona poudre de cacao (100% cacao). The latter lended a deeper chocolaty flavor and seemed a more satisfying fix for my late-night chocolate cravings. Don’t get me wrong, I’d gulp a Hershey chocolate cupcake anytime but chances are, I’d probably ask for seconds if they were Valrhonas. 
The chocolate ganache was the real icing on the cake - both figuratively and literally. D’s colleagues loved this cupcake - ganache and all - so much so that I baked double the recipe each time. A truly decadent cupcake - sophisticated enough to serve during dinner parties but just as wonderful for an anytime snack! In a way, I’m glad to end FWB with this pick, which somehow, “reinstated” my liking for Martha again. 

I’m not certain if this will be a permanent adieu for FWB but we’ll be taking an indefinite break for now.  Until then, continue baking and don’t forget to share - it’s the true essence of why most people bake after all, isn’t it?!
Tina, I can’t wait to see all the BFMHTY bakes you’ll be doing. Keep shooting for the stars and go for your dream!
Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art......it has no survival value; rather, it's one of those things that give value to survival" ~ C.S. Lewis


0 comments: